List of Tenants in Eigg as per the Judicial Rental of 1798
1. Kildonan, Dr. Donald Macaskill and his mother £65-0-0
The tenants make one ton of kelp
2. Howlin - Lachlan Mackinnon £40-0-0
An 8 penny land. Makes no kelp.
5. Sandavore - Hugh Macdonald, Changekeeper 21-5-0
4. The Change House "
Sandavore- a five penny land. Makes no kelp.
5. Howlin. Ranald Macdonald 25-0-0
A five penny land. Makes a ton of kelp.
6. Laig. Ranald Macdonald 21-8-9
Makes 1 ton of kelp
7. Galinisdale - Colin Macdonald 42-10-0
8. Grulive - said Colin as subtenant of Lieut. Donald Fraser's heirs
Principal tenant had a lease for 65 years - makes 2 tons of kelp.
9. Cleadale - John Macdonell 85-10-0
Makes ½ ton of kelp
10. Sandabeg - Rev. Donald Maclean. Minister of Eigg. 8-0-0-
Makes no kelp. The late Clanranald set the remainder of Sandabeg,
after deducting the Glebe at a rent to be fixed by Allan
Maclean and others, who had fixed £8 as above.
N.B. It is evident only the names of tacksmen and not those
of small tenants
are given. Many emigrants came from Eigg to Nova Scotia, cera 1790
Colin Macdonald of Galinisdale was a nephew of Andrew Macdonald
who emigrated from Arisaig to Georgetown. P.E.I. in 1806.
[Note, this is a typewritten document and these are the spellings
given. - JD, June 2006]